Wednesday, June 23, 2010

2010-0618 - Vet visit!

A visit to the vet can't begin until Joy gets her fair share of attention from the staff!



Well, today was the "BIG DAY"!
The day Joy got the last of her Puppy Vaccines and her first Rabies shot today and took it like the wee trooper she is. There was a quick whimper and then all was well in her world again. And because she's finally gotten her Rabies shot, we were able to get her signed up for puppy classes starting on 13 July. Yay!! Can't wait to get some serious training under way.

Larry had cajoled me into letting her wear her "big girl" collar a couple of days ago so she proudly showed that off to all the attentive ladies in the office!

Can you believe she's
pounds already! Whew! I can tell when I try to pick her up! And every time I do, I can hear the warnings from Cathy's hubbs - "If you don't want a 100 pound dog on your lap in a few months - don't put her on her lap now!" LOL And there she is ... on my lap! She's doing the same thing her dad, Ice, did ... gets up on the couch and then nuzzles her way behind my back just a gruntin' and groanin' the whole time! And there I am laughing like crazy.

Wrong? Oh yeah, way wrong, but man, she's soooo freakin' CUTE!

My wrists are looking like I went a couple of rounds with a piranha! Joy's teeth are sooo sharp and my wrists are small enough that her little mouth just goes around them so easily :( Larry's been telling me that I'm asking for trouble with the way I love on her, but you gotta realize - I'm first a cat lover! Never had a dog until Buffy & Billie came into my world, so all my "loving methods" are based on what I learned with cats and they like their heads and ears stroked and scratched. So I head for Joy's head and ears - just like I did with Buffy & Billie! Well, it seems Buffy & Billie never got the "play with my head and I get to bite you" routine like Joy has. And too, Joy's got a "round" head. Every dog I've ever gotten to love on has a knob on the top of their head - Joy doesn't - it's a smooth, round head - no bumps and it's soooo darn CUTE!!! I just love rubbing her head... not so crazy about the bites though! I've been paying close attention lately and only sneak in a head rub every once in a while and the wrist bites have been dramatically minimized.

She's got this howling kinda thinger going on that can really pop an ear drum! She doesn't do it very often and at first we thought it might be separation anxiety 'cause the first time she did it was when Larry was taking Billie up the hill, but today we had a new visitor and oh dear! She let out her howling/yelping sound thinger and it was not for being separated! This was a new person and she wanted to get next to Nicole in the worst way! The cuteness of that behavior wore off real fast and into the crate whe went!

She does real well with the crate and for that we are truly blessed! :) She goes in without any stalling or balking and the only time she whines to come out is in the morning - after spending the whole night (about 6 silent hours). We (and the vet) are pretty impressed with this little girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment